VET STUDENT LOANS
The VET Student Loans program is an Australian Government loan program that helps eligible students enrolled in approved courses at approved course providerspay their tuition fees. Southern Cross Education Institute is an approved VET Student Loans provider.
If you are an eligible student, the Department of Education and Training (the department) may approve your VET Student Loan for an approved course. The department will pay your loan directly to Southern Cross Education Institute. You will be responsible for any gap amount in the tuition fees, which are not covered by the loan. You will owe a debt to the Australian Government for the loan, which will be managed by the Australian Taxation Office (ATO).
ARE YOU ELIGIBLE?
To receive a VET Student Loan, you must:
- be an eligible student
- be studying an approved course
- be studying with an approved course provider
- apply to the government using the approved form, and
- confirm your engagement and progression to continue to access the loan throughout your course.
To be an eligible student, you must meet ALL of these criteria – further detailed below.
- You are:
- an Australian citizen, or
- a qualifying New Zealand citizen, or
- a permanent humanitarian visa holder, who is usually resident in Australia.
- Your FEE-HELP balance (the amount of your FEE-HELP limit you have left) is more than $0.
- You are enrolled with an approved course provider in an approved course and have enrolled in accordance with the application requirements.
- You are studying the approved course primarily at a campus in Australia.
- You have been assessed by your approved course provider as academically suited to undertake the approved course on the basis of either:
- providing your Australian Year 12 Certificate; OR
- providing evidence of successful completion of an Australian Qualifications Framework Certificate IV or higher qualification (where the language of instruction is English); OR
- displaying competence at Exit Level 3 in the Australian Core Skills Framework in both reading and numeracy through an approved Language, Literacy and Numeracy test.
In addition, your approved course provider must reasonably believe you show competence in completing the course.
- You meet the Tax File Number (TFN) requirements.
- You have a Unique Student Identifier (USI) or are otherwise exempt.
- You have given the required documents to your approved courseprovider and submitted the loan application form by the first census dayno less than two business days after enrolling.
To be an approved course your course must be:
- specified on the VET Student Loans (Courses and Loan Caps) Determination 2016 (the courses and loan caps determination), and
- lead to a qualification of diploma, advanced diploma, graduate certificate or graduate diploma in the Australian Qualifications Framework, and
- be provided by an approved course provider, and
- be delivered by an approved course provider or an entity registered with TEQSA or approved by the Department to deliver the course.
For more information regarding eligibility requirements, visit the given link: http://studyassist.gov.au/